Sunday, February 21, 2016

Sausage Casserole Recipe


Sausage Casserole Recipe



This recipe is another one of my mother's staples from our childhood.  I am not sure if this was a southern living recipe or something handed down.  My grandmother did not make this though, that I am aware of.  I note that it could be a southern living recipe only because my mother was obsessed with southern living cookbooks.  Sadly, I had to give a ton of her cookbooks away, but as I inherited her obsession with cookbooks, I am not limited to just southern living.  Wait... where was I going with that?? (My sister read this and let me know that it may have been our "Aunt" Bev's recipe.  Aunt Bev was our mom's Bff since we were littles.)

Anyway, we had this like every week or every other week... a lot!  My guess is because it was fairly inexpensive, easy to make, and pretty darn good.  

My version is made half and half.  Half for honey with mashed potatoes and half for me made with fauxtatoes.  I also use turkey sausage instead of mild sausage to save on fat content and I do like the taste of turkey sausage.  

Sausage Casserole Recipe:
Ingredients:
Jenni-O mild turkey breakfast sausage (entire package) or mild sausage of choice
Potatoes (4 - 5 servings)
Raw cauliflower (almost 2 cups)
EVOO 1 tbsp 
Half and half (I use Horizon organic) 3 tbsp or so
Salt (I use pink Himalayan) a few shakes
Black Pepper a few shakes
Canned sauerkraut (1 can) or 1/2 Jar (not Bavarian style)
Grated Parmesan (a few shakes)

Okay.. we all know that I'm horrible at remembering to measure.  My goal this year is to get better at that for my 20 readers.  =)

Cut up your potatoes into small pieces.  Place in a medium size pan and cover with water.  Shake a bit of salt on the water and boil until soft for mashing.

While your potatoes are boiling, steam your cauliflower and brown your sausage.


When your potatoes are done, drain them and add 1 tbsp of butter, about 2 tbsps half and half and a few shakes of salt and pepper and start mashing.


Now mash your cauliflower with about 1 tbsp of butter and maybe 1 tbsp of half and half.  Also add a little salt and pepper to taste

When the sausage is finished, drain any water or fat.  I hardly ever have to drain turkey sausage.

Now you are ready to assemble...

In your larger casserole dish, add your cooked sausage.  If you have minced onions, go ahead and sprinkle those on top of the sausage.  I didn't have any so I sprinkled Parmesan cheese.  


Next, add your sauerkraut.  I did drain mine by pushing the fork against the sauerkraut and draining the in the sink.  I pulled the sauerkraut out with the fork and spread it all over the sausage.


next, I added the mashed potatoes to one half of the casserole and the mashed cauliflower to the other half of the casserole.  This made a normal carb and a low carb dinner.  =)

Mashed potatoes on left
mashed cauliflower on right



Sprinkle a little more parm on top and then  bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes.  


Yummy out of the oven


Normal carb mashed potatoes serving

Low carb mashed cauliflower serving

Delish!






Enjoy!



Please let me know if you make any of these recipes and how you liked them.  I'd love to hear from you.








3 comments:

  1. Looks good! I'd like to try it when I start cooking again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At the rate you are recovering, that will be in no time Beverly!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Translate