Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Pay It Forward

I couldn’t fight it!  The urge was overwhelming.  I was late anyway and I was so exhausted.  I had already sucked down my bullet-proof coffee, long before my work exit, so stopping for a coffee might be a good idea and it wouldn’t make me much later.

As I pulled into McD’s drive thru… the overwhelming feeling persisted.  I could hardly stand myself by the time I paid for my $1 sized coffee.  

As the sweet girl, at the window, handed me my coffee and debit card.  I handed the card back to her and asked her if I could pay for the car behind me.  THERE… I could finally breathe now.  
She smiled and said, “Of course!  It’ll be si..Do you want to know how much first?”  I said, “No, that’s okay but thank you!”  

As I drove off with my coffee, I was finally calm.  God totally wanted me to do that.  I didn’t feel accomplished or proud of myself.  I felt obedient.  It felt great.  

I’m not sharing this to “toot my own horn”.  I’m sharing because I wanted to share how it made me feel.  The overwhelming feeling was almost too much to bear.  And I knew what I was feeling!  Like God was saying, I’m fully aware of how much is in your checking account.  I know you are doubting this urge.  But listen to ME!  Do this for ME!  

So I pray that whomever got their breakfast on me (well God really) that day was already having a great morning and this was icing on the cake for them.  But if nothing else, I pray that they are even more aware of God’s love for them.  

I believe the world calls this “Pay it Forward”.  

Have you experienced a “Pay it Forward” either as a recipient or as the giver?  Please share your experience in the comments.  I’d love to hear about it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate