Monday, March 21, 2016

Win-Win Lasagna - Tracy Style

This recipe really is win-win for lasagna!  I mean it's lasagna!  So there's the first win.  The 2nd win goes to the low carb half!

Yummy goodness!



Lasagna was planned for the weekend, but I never got around to making it.  So here we are Monday at 5pm, just walked in the door from my lovely commute, and started supper.



Have you ever noticed that when you are cooking something that needs some serious multi tasking, that the phone rings?  It was my brother!  I rarely get to talk to him and I wanted to but I had 2 strikes against me.  1st strike: my battery on the cell phone was at 2%, so it was a waste to try to answer.  2nd strike:  I was right at that crucial moment of the lasagna assembly.  The crucial moment where you grate the side of your hand along with your mozzarella.  OWIE!!

Well, I guess I needed something to give me a 2nd wind.. Nothing like pain to do it.

I must note, that I really don't know how to assemble lasagna, so I guessed.  I also didn't have the time to google a "how to", so here's to winging it.  It was "delicious" as honey said.

Win-Win Lasagna
Ingredients
1 lb ground meat (I used organic ground chicken) crmbled and cooked - seasoned with Italian seasoning, one garlic clove, and about 1/2 cup of marinara sauce
3 cooked lasagna noodles
1 zucchini (organic zucchini is amazing... just sayin') sliced
1 1/2 cups ricotta cheese
1 egg (beaten)
grated parmesan and romano cheese
block of mozzarella cheese to shred (maybe 2 cups?)
1/2 red onion coarsely chopped
1 jar of marinara sauce (I used Walmart's Wild Oats organic)
Italian seasoning
1 large garlic clove

Preheat oven to 375 degrees

Assembly:
Put about 3/4 cup of the marinara on the bottom of a glass baking dish to keep the pasta from sticking.
Cut cooked lasagna noodles in half horizontally.  Then cut one of the noodle halves in half lengthwise.  Place 2 of the halved lasagna noodles on the sauce and then 1 of the lengthwise cuts next to them.  On the other side, put half of your zucchini to sub for noodles.  See below.



Top with meat crumbles and 1/4 of the chopped red onion.



Top that with the ricotta blend (1 1/2 cups ricotta, 1 egg (beaten) and italian seasoning blend.



Top with a bit of sauce and some shredded mozzarella.



Do another layer of pasta and zucchini

Top with meat crumbles and the rest of the chopped red onion

Sprinkle some grated parmesan and romano cheese and sauce.

Final topping is the rest of the shredded mozzarella cheese!



Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes.  Remove foil and brown cheese for 10 minutes.

Let stand for 10 minutes or so...

Low carb half


Enjoy the yummy goodness!

Any recipe requests?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate