Monday, February 8, 2016

Philly Peppers Recipe

Philly Peppers!


I made these back in December.  This was just a fun way to assemble extra ingredients I had from making fajitas.  I've seen plenty of pictures of these recipes on Pinterest, so this isn't an original idea.  

Does anyone else save recipes for the picture and not really read the recipes?  I have a bad habit of doing that.  I think it's an ADD tendency to not want to sit long enough to read the recipe.  I'll just make it like I think it's made.... ha ha (more like a recipe picture is an inspiration and the recipe is maybe a suggestion of what to buy)  wait... SQUIRREL!!!
I looked up free pictures for this, so hopefully this doesn't make anyone mad!

Okay... I had an extra package of peppers that included red, orange, and yellow peppers.  So I was super excited for a colorful dinner.  I also had left over frozen fajita steak... so again, I'm excited because I love to eat meat.  Just sayin'.  I also made what I thought was just a cup of quinoa.  Does that stuff like double in size over night?  I had a ton of cooked quinoa and needed to use it up (I still threw out like what seemed 2 lbs of it to the birds).  

Oh!  The recipe!  Here you go!

Ingredients:
3 fresh peppers (any color that you prefer) cut in half, tops and seeds removed.
1 cup to 1 cup and a half quinoa (cooked and maybe lightly salted with pink salt of course and peppered) enough for 3 servings.
1 small sweet onion coarsely chopped then cooked or caramelized to your liking
EVOO (for the onions)
9 oz steak or chicken strips (cooked and chunked into small pieces) enough for 3 servings
6 provolone cheese slices 

Preheat oven to 350 degrees
begin cooking your onions on medium heat (not higher). 
Par boil your peppers for about 3-5 minutes so that they are still firm but not too crunchy.  I hate hearing people crunch their food sometimes (squirrel!) 
Cool them off slightly on a foil lined cookie sheet so that you can handle them.
Begin your assembly of your stuffed peppers.  
This is how I did it:
a little quinoa on the bottom of each pepper half,
then maybe an ounce to ounce and half of meat
then stack some of the cooked onions
top with a broken slice of provolone
add more quinoa
add more meat
add more onion
top with a slice of provolone
Bake in oven for like 10 minutes or until cheese is melty.  It shouldn't take long as your ingredients were all cooked and warm before you put them in the oven.  

This seems like a lot of words, but it really didn't take long to prepare or get my fork into them.  

You can see that depending on the size of your peppers, you will not need much to stuff them, but I enjoyed 2 halves for supper and it was yummy.  So yummy, that I forgot to take pictures of the peppers cut open.  I'll have to update this post when I make them again to get some assembly pictures.  



Enjoy!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate