Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Tracy's Tipsy Chili Recipe

Tipsy Chili!





I must admit, that until my mom passed away, I had never made my own chili.  Her chili was so yummy, why should I make my own?  Anyway, a while after she passed away, the search was on for her recipe.  I found it, and here it is.  

It's yummy!  

So from that recipe, I evolved slightly.  Basically, I season it as I like it, or rather as honey and Kelly like it.  They are my taste testers as to when it's done.  

I prefer to simmer my chili as long as possible, so I normally make chili on the weekends.  Today is an exception.  It's an after work chili that's been simmering an hour or so now, but it will be amazing re-heated tomorrow after everything marinates.

I did post a picture of the spices on Insta and FB to see if anyone could guess my secret ingredient.  So far, the guesses have been cocoa powder, coffee, bacon, and beer.  All great guesses and ideas!  Thanks Chrissy, Dawn, Cheryl, and Dawn!  My mom's secret ingredient was taco bell sauce packets!  Medium!  Try it.  She would be okay with me sharing!

Enjoy my super easy recipe and of course, "own it" and make it your own!

Ingredients:
1 1b. of ground meat of choice (I used organic ground chicken)
1 28 oz can of tomato sauce or puree (I accidentally got puree this time, but it just made for a thicker chili)
1 8 oz can of diced tomatoes ( I prefer low sodium if I can find it)
1 8 oz can of chili beans
1 8 oz can of black beans
Various spices:  (I am horrible at measuring) I always forget the bay leaf, so this recipe was with out it.  Wait, does anyone know what the bay leaf flavor is like? (squirrel)
chili powder - 2 shakes to start
garlic minced and/or garlic powder - lots of it
cumin - 3-4 shakes
onion flakes - 3 shakes
cayenne - 2 shakes to start
seasoning salt - 1 shake or none at all
sriracha (because I was out of of Frank's hot sauce) - a good squirt of sriracha or about 5 shakes of Franks to start
1 green pepper - chopped
1 sweet onion - chopped
1 tbsp of olive oil

I think that's everything!

  • brown your ground meat in a non-stick pan (I can't find my orgreenic since the move, so I'm using the old T Fals for now).  I don't add spray oil or any oil.  Drain when finished if any liquid or grease ( sometimes, I season the meat with the dried onions and some garlic while it browns)
  • while the meat browns, add 1tbsp of olive oil to your big cooking pot and cook the chopped green peppers and onions on medium heat.  (sometimes I go ahead and add a little garlic while the veggies cook)
  • when the meat is done, add it to the pot with the peppers and onions
  • add your canned puree or sauce, the tomatoes, and rinsed beans.  
  • start shaking your seasonings
  • add your secret ingredient... mine is... ta da!... 1/2 a cup or so of Cabernet Sauvignon!  I bet you were curious about the tipsy part of the chili (no, the cook isn't tipsy).  
  • simmer for a few hours
  • If you like, top with cheese, onions, and greek yogurt or sour cream.  Serve with cornbread, on top of rice, baked regular or sweet potato, with tortilla chips, or just in the bowl!  Sometimes left overs top a salad.  
  • I'm hungry
  • I'll take a glass of wine now... oh, beer is good with this too.




Enjoy!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate