Saturday, February 6, 2016

Sleepless in North Georgia



Can you relate?


Actually, I'm sleepless, often, no matter what my location.  Websters full definition of Insomnia is: "prolonged and usually abnormal inability to get enough sleep."

Well, in an overstimulated world, our minds have a hard time shutting down.  We experience "too many moving parts" in traffic, at the office, at the store, in a meeting, in the classroom, from our electronic devices, etc.  No wonder it's hard to wind down in the first place.  Then because of all of these "moving parts", our minds continue to work overtime.

How many times do you actually sleep deeply, only to dream that you are working!!!  Ugh, then you are tired from working in your sleep.  Ha ha!

Oh well.  To my fellow daydreamers and night thinkers, I know how difficult it is to shut down, wind down, and just make the world stop long enough for a few zzzzz's.  I am tired of being tired, so I feel ya!

I've really tried to re-train my brain from being a night thinker (worrier) into a night prayer.  When I can actually commit to this, I pray for many and do fall asleep most of the time. Other times, I guess the Lord just wants me praying.

My wind down helps (for me)

  • Get off electronics as much as possible.  Especially for at least an hour or so before going to bed.  Resist the urge to check social media.
  • no caffeine after 4pm (sometimes I need a green tea to make sure I'm not sleepy on my commute home)
  • make sure I take my vitamins, especially my B vitamins, before 2pm.
  • make sure I've talked with honey (my safe place) about the stresses and victories of my day
  • before bed, I get the coffee pot ready, the vitamins packaged, and as much of our breakfasts and lunches packed for the next day.
  • snuggle with honey for at least an hour before bed. 


What are your techniques for shutting down?  I'd love to hear from you.  Some of us may benefit from your experience.  

Good night and may your sleep be peaceful and deep.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate