Monday, February 12, 2018

5 Things I've Learned While I've Had The Flu

5 Things I've learned while I've been sick with the flu

my bitmoji 


1.  No amounts of hand washing, vitamin taking, hand sanitizing, eating healthy, and exercise efforts made me immune.  The flu found me and all of the stars were in perfect alignment... it got me!

Honey and I have been so careful this flu season!  We wash down the carts at the stores with the wipes available.  We have hand sanitizer in the car for as soon as we are done shopping, pumping gas, or reviewing a menu (if we eat out).  We've hardly even eaten out this flu season. We wash up after we put the groceries away.  Wash our hands at work often.  We've taken our supplements.  I eat healthy for the most part.  I've been exercising 5 -6 days a week since mid November (a pretty good accomplishment until 2 weeks ago).  Well, the flu evidently hunted me down and found me.  I got hit while I was separate from hubby or he was the carrier ( he's been subbing at a middle school).  He's luckily been fine but I am on day 16 of a relentless fever from a stomach virus (flu).  I have been trying not to complain and whine, but I'm pretty tired of feeling like poop. 

2.  Jesus, my hubby, and my daughter are truly my very best friends.  

Not much I can add to this.  Other than they love me unconditionally, they want me to get better, and I'm not being judged by them.  

3.  I can handle and immensely enjoy quiet and alone time.

There is clarity in quiet AND with being alone.  As I've taken the past year or so to really, I mean REALLY get to know me better, I've come to some realizations that have been challenging and difficult.  But in my coherent times the past 2 weeks, I've been praying for the courage to stay true to me.  Some may feel that I'm selfish, but in my 48 years, I've just started putting myself first here and there and I'm finally realizing that it's okay to take care of me and I have an opinion and preferences on how I spend my off time or tired time.  I also shouldn't feel guilty about it either.  I have also been praying for the strength to hold solid boundaries that protect my family time, rest time, creative time, and quiet time.  We moved up here, away from everything, to accomplish that.  How and why did I allow myself to lose sight of that?  Our relationship with God is priority, then our marriage and our kids are next.  People laugh at me when I state that honey and I are newlyweds (5 years this June).  But I've got news for them.  As we continue to keep our marriage a priority, we'll stay newlyweds forever.  I don't see how that can change.  And our kids may be grown but they are still our babies and our pride and joy.  They will always get our 100%.  

Alone and quiet times  are POWERFUL.  If only I felt better while I was home, I could have gotten so much done, so much written, maybe some creative things done.  But God was wanting me to spend time with Him. I'm glad I didn't avoid Him or make excuses not to be with Him.  After all, I'm His priority!  This time alone and quiet has been healing more than the flu.  

4.  What other people are thinking of me, is none of my business

One of my spiritual gifts is discernment.  I know what people are saying and thinking, but regardless, I need to ignore it.  I know me, God knows me, and we all agree that I'm pretty awesome but maybe not your cup of tea.  That's okay!  


5.  I have grown by leaps and bounds over the past few years and I am still hungry for further growth.  

I've been able to take a few minutes to seek out new podcasts, put books on the wishlist, and when coherent, get a little reading done.  As I discover what makes me tick, not tick at times, or get ticked off , I'm determined to be a better me.  Not just for me, but for my family, those I come into contact with, and those I serve with.  There's still a God-given purpose for my life.  I've yet to discover it.  I know it's got to be bigger than going to work, paying the bills, doing the laundry, cooking supper, cleaning up supper, going to bed and starting over again. I also know it's not to fill voids in other people that need to fill their voids with God.  I am hungry to pursue more of Him and more knowledge to discover His purpose.  






I edited this tonight and thought I'd add... what are your sure fire remedies for breaking a fever?  This flu has ended up being the "fight of the fever".  17 days so far!

Update:  I started flu symptoms 1/29/18... today 7/4/18, I think I've finally beaten the fever for the most part but still struggle with the fatigue and swollen glands.  The aches and pains are minimal due to new supplementation that I started in late March.  I've had several tests done and was sent to an ENT to see if any scans might be needed to pursue ruling out lymphoma.  A scary time for me.  His only conclusion is that I had the B strain flu which can take up to a year to recover.  This appointment was near the end of April.  I'm thankful to God for the handful of people that still know I'm not 100% yet and continue to check on me and be patient with me.  I've not reached out to many, but those that continue to reach out to me are golden.  Honestly, the rest of my "friends"... well, that's the end of that season and it's totally fine with me.  I've continued to work full time with this as well as mine and hubby's side businesses.  We've also traveled here and there so I'm not missing out on life.  I'll enjoy life regardless!  My relationship with God has continued to grow stronger and although I've had setbacks due to not being able to get rest or because I don't take the time to rest, I'm determined to not give up or grow bitter. Every day I become a bit stronger and I'm back on the treadmill once or twice a week now.  It's hard, but eventually, I'll be back up to my 5 - 6 days!  I actually can't wait!  I'm very thankful to the One who sustains me and the loved ones that continue to love me.  To God be the glory!

Subscribe to Deconstructing Tracy by Email

No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate