Wednesday, February 14, 2018

Veggie Enchilada Lasagna Recipe

Veggie Enchilada Lasagna



Say that 3 times fast!

You know I'm always on this better health journey!  I've made better overall health a lifestyle.  We have cheat moments, as we are not perfect.  But I am pleased that 95% or more of my diet is healthful.

Before I got sick with the flu, I made this dish.  This was after seeing a documentary on a plant based diet and I got a "bug up my butt" about trying to eat more plant based.  Not vegan and I will partake in the occasional burger  or steak because they taste amazing to me (no judgement zone, okay?).

At any rate, I look at my diet.  I ate a small handful of M & M's yesterday.  I am pretty sure I eat sugar or chocolate 3 times a year max!  I hardly eat carbs and when I do, it's whole wheat or whole grain of some sort.  I eat lean chicken but I will admit, if bacon is on the table, I'll eat it.  I don't eat much fish as it sometimes makes me feel puny, but I love a good shrimp cocktail now and then.  I try to eat lots of veggies and hardly any fruit b/c I'm afraid of sugar.  I also have a texture thing and struggle to get a banana down sometimes but I love strawberries.

I got a treadmill in mid November and prior to getting sick, I have been on that thing or my mini elliptical 5 or 6 days a week!

So there's my boring diet.  I lost 16lbs last year with supplementation and trying to improve my health but I'm still pre-diabetic and my cholesterol is creeping up.  All of this making me high risk for type 2 diabetes and heart disease.  NO!

Long story short (too late!)... there's not much else to eliminate from my diet or add to with the time available that I have.  It never occurred to me to try a vegetarian or mostly vegetarian diet.

We're in the experimentation stage.  Translated, that means I need to come up with some yummy ways to disguise veggies so hubby will eat them and make sure the meals are satisfying and filling for him so later snacks aren't "needed".  I love veggies.  Almost all of them.

Here was the first trial run.  It was delicious, filling, and not disturbing to our tummies as veggies sometimes can be.  This was fairly easy.  The most time consuming was the veggie chopping, but once everything was mixed together, assembly took no time.

This made 8 servings.  It's fairly low in calories but it is not low carb (but not all carbs are created equal).  On a plus side it has a decent amount of protein and fiber!  I will alter this recipe on the next go.  I will use more like 6 tortillas and no salt.  There's plenty of salt in the cheese and salsa.

So here you go!

Veggie Enchilada Lasagna
Printable version

Ingredients
1 Red Pepper - chopped
1 medium sweet onion - chopped
1 can no salt added black beans - rinsed and drained
1 cup of additional veggie of choice ( I would have liked to have added chopped sweet potato but hubby doesn't like them so I chopped up some very lightly steamed fresh cauliflower.  I also added fresh spinach to my portion)
1 tsp cumin
2 tsp chili powder
1 tsp salt ( I used pink salt but if I make this dish again, I will not use salt)
1 1/2 cups of shredded cheese (optional)
2 16 oz jars of salsa (per choice).  We didn't have salsa but a large jar of picante sauce (same thing?)
about 15 corn tortillas




Chop your red pepper, onion, and additional veggie(s) and place in a medium or large mixing bowl.  Add the black beans, seasonings, and 1/2 cup of the shredded cheese.  





Mix them together.




Begin lasagna assembly

Add about 1 cup of salsa to the bottom of a 9x13 glass baking dish and spread a thin layer on the bottom.

cut your tortillas in half and line the pan on top of the salsa.  ( I had about 5 rows)



Scoop about 1/3 of a cup of the veggie mixture on top of each row of tortillas, then spread it around more evenly.

add 1/2 cup of the shredded cheese


add another layer of tortillas and then add salsa on top of the tortillas


add the remainder of the veggie mixture on top (this is where I put spinach on my 1/3 of the lasagna)



add 1 more layer of tortillas and then more salsa on top of the tortillas


Bake on 400 degrees for 20 minutes (tent foil over the top while baking)

After 20 minutes, add your last 1/2 cup of shredded cheese and put back in the oven, uncovered, for 10 more minutes.

after 20 minutes

cheese added and ready for 10 more minutes


Enjoy!


cheesy out of the oven

my piece with spinach











Subscribe to Deconstructing Tracy by Email

No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate