Monday, April 16, 2018

Easy Lentil Sloppy Joes


Our attempts at eating mostly vegetarian continue after an all meat Sunday left me feeling like poo!
I will reiterate, that we have not gone 100% vegetarian... We actually enjoy eating meat.  I love a good burger, a yummy steak, and messy chicken wings.  But goodness!  I feel so much better eating plant protein over animal protein and that's my personal fact!

So where was I... oh! yes, vegetarian adventures.  As I am still not well since January, our vegetarian adventures are on the easy side.  So tonight even has crummy pictures... this extreme fatigue is REAL y'all.  Ugh.

But let's start with a little fun.  Does anyone know where Sloppy Joes originated?  I didn't!  But being naturally curious and a constant learner... I googled it!  I came across this great little article on the history of sloppy joes.  Check it out...  The History of Sloppy Joes by ionnutrition.com

So here's the super easy lentil sloppy joes.  If you prefer to make this meaty style, I've made these with ground chicken or as lean as possible ground beef (but ground chicken is very, very lean and tastes pretty good as a sloppy joe)




Easy Lentil Sloppy Joes
Ingredients:
Cooked Lentils
1 packet McCormick Sloppy Joes seasoning mix
1 1/4 cup water
6 oz. tomato paste
1/4 or 1/2 cup brown sugar (optional)

If you need to cook your lentils.  I cook about 1 cup of lentils in 2 cups of water.  This is about the equivalent of 1 lb and a half of ground meat.  (I always make too much for 2 people with left overs)

Instructions to cook lentils: 
  • Sort 1 cup of lentils in a strainer to remove any stones or bad pieces
  • rinse the lentils
  • Add the lentils to 2 cups of water and bring to gentle boil on medium heat.  Lower heat to a simmer for 20 minutes or until desired texture.  If adding salt, wait until about 5 minutes left and lightly salt lentils.  
  • When they are done, put back in strainer to drain excess water
Lentil Sloppy Joes

  • Put the cooked lentils to a frying pan
  • Add the seasoning mix, 1 1/4 cup of water, 6 oz of tomato paste, and brown sugar if adding it. 
  • Follow the instructions on the seasoning packet.  (gently mix ingredients, bring to a boil, then turn temperature down to simmer for 10 minutes)
  • Serve on your favorite bun and yum! 


Hubby even had seconds and said this was a keeper!

Yummy!



Subscribe to Deconstructing Tracy by Email







No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate