Wednesday, May 23, 2018

Sweet and Tangy Cucumbers

This is one of our favorite side dishes!  It's refreshing, versatile, and inexpensive!



My grandmother K and my mom used to make a similar cucumber recipe that I understood to be a common Polish side dish.  Well at least it was in my grandma's Polish house and my mom's 1/2 Polish home.  They added Miracle Whip and sugar to white vinegar to make theirs.  We enjoyed them growing up as they were sweet.  My father LOVED them.

I tried this mixture to eliminate the mayo and sugar but try to obtain a similar flavor.  I've tasted similar at our favorite Thai restaurant.

Sweet and Tangy Cucumbers
Ingredients
1 large cucumber (peeled and sliced per preference)
2 -3 tbsp of Rice Vinegar
2 stevia packets


I've always used a coffee mug to mix this.  I'm not sure why.  ha ha... but add your vinegar to a mixing cup or bowl then add your stevia.  Mix well.

(disclaimer - I'm guessing on the vinegar amount.  I'm a dumper from way back and I stink at remembering to measure.  Be brave and taste test a tiny amount before adding to your cucumber)

Pour over your cucumbers and stir.



If possible, make this about an hour or 2 prior to your meal so the cucumbers can marinate.  These are wonderful on day 1 but amazing day 2!

My cucumber tip.  I'm not an expert on veggie storage but I normally store cucumbers in the fridge.  I go ahead and peel and slice my cucumbers and let them sit a while on the counter tossed in extremely light salt before I pour this mixture on them.

If you have any cucumber tips, please share in the comments!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate