Monday, February 1, 2016

Egg Roll Bowl Recipe

Egg Roll Bowl

photo by Tracy Hilbun


This is pretty easy, although not super fast, to make.  I also like the short list of ingredients.

Ingredients:
Large bag of slaw mix (5 servings size).  I used the mix that has the red cabbage and carrots in it.
1 large onion coarsely chopped
1lb of ground turkey sausage (or ground meat of choice – pork, chicken, beef maybe?)
2 tbsp rice vinegar
2-4 tbsp low sodium soy sauce

In a large skillet, brown the ground meat on medium heat.  (I used ground turkey sausage because I didn’t have ground pork or chicken.)   After the meat is browned, set it aside and use the drippings to cook the chopped onion pieces until they are soft (I like mine a little browned).   **Because I used ground turkey sausage, I did not have any drippings left in the pan but I did have some stored bacon drippings from Christmas, in the fridge. 
When the onion is ready, add the bag of slaw mix to the skillet.  Still working on medium heat, gently stire the mixture occasionally for about 20 minutes. 

photo by Tracy Hilbun

Once the slaw is cooked, add the ground meat back in the skillet and then add the rice vinegar and soy sauce.  Stir gently to mix.  Then set to low heat and let this simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. 

Photo by Tracy Hilbun

Your low carb, yummy dinner is now ready. 
Enjoy!
Photo By Tracy Hilbun


Honey, did ask for some of the left over brown rice, from Saturday’s meal, to eat with his and a bit more soy sauce.  But I didn’t have a fortune cookie for him.  

**Disclaimer:  This is not my original recipe.  It’s how I made a version of the recipe.  Not sure who originated it as there are so many versions out there with Paleo version, Trim Healthy Mama, and another diet plan that’s a secret as an egg roll in a bowl.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate