Sunday, May 1, 2016

Watermelon Rind Preserves

"You eat your watermelon all the way to the rind. You don't leave me enough pink to make the watermelon preserves!"

This is what my honey, as a child, heard often from his big grandma (meaning tall grandma)
Now ensues the never-ending search for watermelon rind preserves at every country store and stand in the south east. No one EVER has it.

Welp, my friends Cathy, Tara, and I talked about this at lunch, and Tara found some online!  I've looked before and only found recipes.

I ordered a jar for a surprise for honey and paid more for shipping than the jar of preserves. I loved the smile on his face when he opened the shipping box.

Guess who had a jelly sandwich immediately??!!  The verdict... it's not like grandma's but it's very good.

My honey was happy!

So I guess I need to be brave and try to make watermelon rind preserves myself. Eek!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate