Wednesday, August 15, 2018

Easy Taco Lentils



These go hand-in-hand in the EASY category with Easy Lentil Sloppy Joes (which has been a pretty big Pinterest hit and even got shared on someone else's blog!)

I'm all about the easy.  I've been working my normal job, I started a 2nd stay at home job for another ministry, I have a home based health and wellness business, and I help my hubby with his handmade business.  So easy and leftovers are a must at the moment.  But we still like tasty and try to stay on as healthy a track as possible.  I'll admit these aren't the super healthiest b/c the seasoning is a mix, but we do use the lower sodium in a pinch.  I haven't had the ambition to make my own taco seasoning... but feel free to sub your own preference of taco seasoning.

I love lentils.  They are super easy to cook (I hear you can buy them canned in a bigger city!), they taste great, and are so versatile!  They are a great substitute for ground meat but so far I've only used them, instead of meat, for sloppy joes, tacos, and in chili.


Easy Taco Lentils 
Ingredients:
Cooked Lentils
1 Packet Old El Paso low sodium Taco Seasoning
2/3 cup water

If you need to cook your lentils.  I cook about 1 cup of lentils in 2 cups of water.  This is about the equivalent of 1 lb and a half of ground meat.  (I always make too much for 2 people with left overs)

Instructions to cook lentils: 
  • Sort 1 cup of lentils in a strainer to remove any stones or bad pieces
  • rinse the lentils
  • Add the lentils to 2 cups of water and bring to gentle boil on medium heat.  Lower heat to a simmer for 20 minutes or until desired texture.  If adding salt, wait until about 5 minutes left and lightly salt lentils.  
  • When they are done, put back in strainer to drain excess water
Taco Lentils
  • Put the cooked lentils to a frying pan
  • Add the seasoning mix and 2/3 cup of water
  • Follow the instructions on the seasoning packet.  (gently mix ingredients, bring to a boil, then turn temperature down to simmer for 3-5 minutes)
  • Serve however you normally would with taco meat.
We can't stand store bought taco shells.  So last night, I put tortillas on a cookie sheet, added shredded cheese to half of the tortilla and melted the cheese in a 350 degree oven for about 5 minutes.  This put a light crunch on the tortilla to make it more solid for holding the fillings... (i.e. shredded lettuce, chopped tomatoes, onions, salsa, roasted pepper slices, sour cream).  I don't have pictures of our tacos from last night because we were starving and just dug in!  

I serve with either spanish rice or chips and salsa

Leftovers always make a great taco salad or nachos (pictured above)!

Husband approved!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate