Thursday, December 19, 2019

Holiday Stress and the Little Drummer Boy


Holiday Stress and the Little Drummer Boy


Self-care can totally take a backseat during the holiday season.  There are many reasons why stress levels can be at a particular high this time of year:
·         Socializing more at holiday gatherings.
·         Eating off of the healthy nutrition plan during holiday gatherings and due to yummy cookie gifts.
·         Spending more money for food and gifts.
·         Sleeping less.
·         Being too tired to make exercise a priority.
·         Being even more obligated on an already tight schedule.
·         Being far away from family and friends during the holidays
·         Ministry events
·         Not spending quality time with the Lord


Have I struck a chord yet? 

I’m not going to suggest that we not celebrate the season.  I’m suggesting that we focus on His presence and to be corny… the “reason for the season”.  Try not to lose your discipline and routine in the hustle and bustle.  Here’s what I planned this holiday season:
·         Continue to spend time with the Lord and fill up on His love.
·         Not skip the exercise routine.
·         Stick to the healthy nutrition plan to avoid drinking straight from the chocolate fountain.
·         Know personal limits on time and not over commit.
·         Get to bed on time.


In the past, I would just kill myself over the holidays and I found I wasn’t really enjoying them at all.  What a huge loss that is!  I didn’t want that to happen this year.  Life happens but not being joyful is not an option for me nor is not celebrating this joyous season.  This season is hard for me with continued grief, weight struggles, injuries, exhaustion, other people’s stress and moods, on top of feeling guilty of not doing enough for others.  But I’m doing my BEST.  I’m doing my BEST to be grateful, set boundaries, and honor Him. 

At our staff Christmas party yesterday, our Coordinator reminded us that we have so many reasons to be filled with joy and to do our best for him.  He shared about the song “Little Drummer Boy” (and everyone’s love/hate relationship with the song).  I love it but it’s hard to listen to because it makes me cry.  I’m crying now thinking of it.  I can’t even watch the classic Claymation Christmas show about it.  I cry like a baby!  That boy was a poor boy too, his finest gift to bring was playing his drum, Mary nodded, he played his BEST for him, and Jesus smiled at him. 



Merry Christmas to you and remember to do your BEST to rest in the joy of the season and His glorious presence. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate